Submitted by Chip Nataro / Lafayette College on Mon, 06/15/2009 - 11:01
A few years back, I purchased some Solv-Tek solvent purification systems.  They have since gone out of business (at least as far as I know).  My ether system is acting up.  I get plenty of pressure in but nothing out.  At the top of the second column there is a small filter which I have cleaned out by blowing nitrogen through (that was a trick I got from the company before they disappeared).  That trick didn't work.  There aren't too many other troubleshooting options that I am aware of, so I think I have to take the columns down and refill them.  I have some details on that procedure, but not a lot (for example, I use alumina in one column but no clue as to the size).  If anyone out there has any suggestions, I would sure appreciate some ideas.
Anthony L. Fernandez / Merrimack College
The original idea behind these columns came from a paper by Grubbs and co-workers (Organometallics 1996, 15, 1518-1520). In their setup LaRoche A-2 alumina (12 × 32) was used.
Thu, 06/18/2009 - 22:53 Permalink
Chip Nataro / Lafayette College

In reply to by Anthony L. Fernandez / Merrimack College

That was my fallback plan if I couldn't come up with Solv-Tek specs.  It seems like it is time to go with that, it can't be too far off.
Fri, 06/19/2009 - 10:51 Permalink
Adam Johnson / Harvey Mudd College

In reply to by Chip Nataro / Lafayette College


I wrote a long involved reply to your query the day it first appeared, but apparently the internet ate it.  Hmm.  I suggested looking at the innovative technology system and see if you can buy a new column from them.  Their columns attach with 1/4" swage fittings and are shipped activated and under vacuum.  I haven't had to replace mine (system is 2.5 years old) but buying a new column is easier than recharging I think.


Mon, 06/29/2009 - 14:17 Permalink