Follow up small group work with a class discussion of the correct answers. Grade students on participation and completness
This literature discussion uses a recently published article on solvatochromic Mo complexes to introduce students to the different components of a research article. The activity is divied into to two parts. Before class students read the paper and focus on defining terms, investigating the "meta" data of the paper, and the different sections iof the paper. In class the students work in groups to investigate the scientific content of the paper
Students should be able to:
- Interpret the roles that authors play in a research project
- Recognize the different sections of a research article and the purpose of each section
- Understand how to access supporting information and the type of information found there
- Find key conclusions of a research paper and the experimental evidence the author used to make those conclusions
assessment of students will be preformed by grading their answers to the questions in the activity.
This is a 1 Figure lit discussion (1FLO) based on a Figure from a 2015 JACS article on synthesizing conductive MOFs. This LO introduces students to Metal-Organic Frameworks and focuses on characterization techniques and spectroscopy.
As a result of completing this activity, students will be able to...
- define what metal-organic Frameworks and Post-synthetic Modifications are
- understand MOF terminology and notation
- discover how mass transport and electron mobility effect conductivity
- calculate energies of electronic transitions in electron volts
- make connections betweeen diagrams and material sturctures
- compare optical and microscopy techniques
- discover the concept of photocurrect and how it could be used in different applications
Students should be able to complete the activity without any prior knowledge of MOFs, although some introduction to MOFs and UV-vis absorption spectroscopy would be nice.