Magnetic susceptibility balance

Submitted by Dave Finster / Wittenberg University on Mon, 03/29/2010 - 13:38

I am writing up a "wish list" for my inorganic chemistry lab.  I seek advice.  Johnson-Matthey has the magnetic susceptibility balance (MSB) that seems like "the standard" for educational lab.  Can anyone advise on getting the "Mark I" vs. the "Auto MSB?"  Also, do you know the approximate prices for each of these two instruments? 

The relevant URL is:





Schlenk or air-sensitive Glassware Kit?

Submitted by Dr. J. Metzker / Georgia College on Thu, 02/11/2010 - 14:38
We have recently purchased a schlenk line and I am now in the process of trying to purchase glassware to use with it. Since the glassware is somewhat expensive and budgets are very tight I am looking to get creative. We are likely to have funds this year for "big" purchases. Does anyone know of a glass company that sells a kit of glassware for air-sensitive/Schlenk techniques? I can justify a kit but not individual pieces of glassware. (I know that is crazy!)Thanks,Julia

Hg Bubblers

Submitted by Chip Nataro / Lafayette College on Mon, 07/14/2008 - 10:50
I can't figure out if I have a unique and good idea or if I just missed the bus.  My guess is I missed the bus a long time ago, but that won't stop me from throwing this nugget out there.  I finally replaced the mercury bubblers in my research lab.  It was time.  I have had people say they use oil bubblers.  I tried that for about a day and really hated the lack of pressure that I was so accustom to.  I had to find another solution.  That's when I found Inert Relief Valves (20 PSI) from Cole-Palmer.  I am sure there are others out there, and I get no money from Cole-Palmer, they just h