This LO was developed for the Summer 2018 VIPEr workshop, and has not yet been implemented. Results will be updated after implementation.
This literature discussion is an expansion of a previous LO (https://www.ionicviper.org/literature-discussion/tetrahedral-tellurate) and based on a 2008 Inorganic Chemistry article http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ic701578p
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
- Identify the key aspects of a primary publication including significance, synthetic methods, and product characterization.
- Identify isoelectronic species by drawing Lewis Structures.
- Apply standard NMR shielding/deshielding concepts to interpret heteronuclear NMR spectra.
- Identify experimental protocols and reaction conditions.
- Discuss how the various experimental methods in the article provide evidence of the structure of the compound.
- Recognize scientific nomenclature relevant to the research article.
- Identify the relationship of telluric acid and tellurate to the related species given in the paper based on periodic trends. (Periodic Acid - isoelectronic; Sulfuric and Selenic acid - same column)
- Compare bond lengths for species in the paper.
- Identify the point group of the TeO42- with all the same Te-O bond lengths and when with different Te-O bond lengths.
- Predict the product(s) and by-products of a chemical reaction.
- Identify species and intermolecular interactions in a crystal structure.
Students are asked to read the paper and answer the discussion questions before coming to class.