This literature discussion was created to accompany the coordination chemistry chapter of a foundation-level inorganic course. It introduces the concept of C-H agostic interactions.
After reading the article and completing the guiding questions, students will be able to...
- draw and compare the structures of porphine and related compounds
- identify atoms within ligands that are capable of interacting with a metal center
- cite information from the article
- apply the covalent bond classification method
- find information using SciFinder Scholar
This literature discussion has been implemented in a foundation-level inorganic chemistry course for junior chemistry majors (19 students). The students were provided with the guiding questions prior to the in-class discussion and submitted their preliminary answers individually, to be graded only for completeness. During class, small groups were formed and answers were shared prior to the instructor leading a whole class discussion.
Individual student responses were for graded for completeness and leniently graded for correctness.
Students were able to meet most of the learning goals, particularly after the small group discussions.