This literature discussion LO was created for the ACS National Award Winners 2023 . Dr. Robert Gilliard was the recipient of the 2023 Harry Gray Award for Creative Work in Inorganic Chemistry by a Young Investigator. This LO is based on the article "A Multidimensional Approach to Carbodiphosphorane-Bismuth Coordination Chemistry: Cationization, Redox-Flexibility, and Stabilization of a Crystalline Bismuth Hydridoborate", published in Inorganic Chemistry 2022, 61, 19452-19462.
After reading the article and answering the guiding questions, students will be able to....
1) Compare and contrast a carbone ligand to a carbene ligand
2) Describe the carbone ligand according to the Covalent Bond Classification (CBC) method
3) Write electron configurations for Bi and some of its oxidation states
4) Interpret the structure of a bismuth complex in the context of VSEPR
5) Interpret experimental data (X-ray structures, NMR spectroscopy)
This LO has not been used yet, but we recommend assigning these problems for the students before class, so that they come prepared to discuss the paper in class.
One possible method of evaluation is to collect student answers to the guiding questions before the discussion takes place in class and/or collect student answers after the class discussion and/or collect answers written by small groups during the discussion.
This LO has not been implemented yet.