This literature discussion focuses upon the Science article by Coates and Waymouth reporting the synthesis of thermoplastic elastomeric polypropylene by an unbridged zirconocene. This article was the basis for the work done for my PhD thesis in the Waymouth group. The LO was written in May 2020 in honor of Bob Waymouth's 60th birthday. See the BITeS post announcing the LO here.
After completing this literature discussion, students will be able to:
- describe a thermoplastic elastomer
- describe the stereochemistry of polypropylene
- describe the relationship between catalyst structure and polypropylene stereochemistry
- apply covalent bond classification electron counting to a zirconocene
- interpret data from figures and tables
- describe the methods used by the authors to support the synthesis of isotactic-atactic stereoblock polypropylene
As usual, instructors may wish to mix-and-match questions to suit their learning goals and time constraints.
This article addresses a part of the ACS list of inorganic chemistry macromolecular, supramolecular and nanoscale (MSN) topics:
- Ziegler-Natta, metallocene catalysts for olefin polymerization - impact on industrial/materials development
I have not yet implemented this LO. As with other literature discussions, instructors could collect the completed worksheets (by an individual student or in groups of students) for evaluation.
I have not yet implemented this LO so there are currently no evaluation results to share.