Specific Course Information
Course Meetings and Time
The course will cover the elements of the periodic table that are omitted in general and organic chemistry, mainly the transition (d-block) metals. The complexes formed by these metals will be covered, along with real world applications in catalysis and medicine.
- Analyze molecular bonding based on VSEPR and molecular orbital theories.
- Understand the basics of coordination chemistry.
- Apply crystal field theory.
- Analyze the reactions of coordination and organometallic compounds.
- Apply inorganic concepts to real world uses.
Homework and Lit Discussions 150 points
Early Term Exam 100 points
Exams (2) 250 points
Final Exam 150 points
Blog 150 points
Final Presentation 150 points
Total 1000 points