This Guided Literature Discussion was assigned as a course project, and is the result of work originated by students Stefanie Barnett and Katelyn Yowell. It is based on the article “Synthesis, Electrochemistry, and Reactivity of Half-Sandwich Ruthenium Complexes Bearing Metallocene-Based Bisphosphines”, Shaw, A.P.; Norton, J.R.; Bucella, D.; Sites, L.A.; Kleinbach, S.S.; Jarem, D.A.; Bocage, K.M.; Nataro, C. Organometallics 2009, 28, 3804-3814. It includes a Reading Guide that will direct students to specific sections of the paper emphasized in the discussion. This article presents the study of an array of metallocene-based bisphosphine ligands.
After reading and discussing this article, a student should be able to…
- Understand the nomenclature of metallocene-based bisphosphine ligands.
- Apply the CBC electron-counting method in the presence of metallocene-based bisphosphine ligands, which may be in an oxidized form.
- Appreciate the role of phosphine cone angles in organometallic synthesis.
- Understand the effect of a ligand’s electron donor ability on a metal’s redox potential.
- Appreciate how synthetic methods may emphasize either the kinetic or thermodynamic product.
- Understand how 1H NMR can help differentiate dihydride/dihydrogen isomers.