This LO is a literature discussion based on one figure in Chan et. al. Organometallics, 2016, 35, 3257-3260. DOI: 10.1021/acs.organomet.6b00622. This figure shows the plausible reaction profiles and the corresponding relative Gibbs Free energy values.
In answering these questions, a student will be able to:
- Interpret product outcomes based on a calculated reaction profile for a catalytic process
- Identify and compare complexes, intermediates, and transition states in a reaction diagram
- Relate relative energies to steric, electronic, and electrostatic properties in a palladium carborane catalyst
- Identify major and minor product pathways in a reaction profile
- Predict reactivity of alternative substrates based on periodic trends
- Relate proposed catalytic mechanism to experimental results
This LO is designed as a secondary exercise to assist students in engaging with a journal article. It will link to another LO that examines a second figure in the same article. (1FLO: Electron Counting and Electrostatic Effects in Palladium Carborane Complexes).
This is intended for students to work together in small groups, then come together as a class to discuss the answers. The students will need to read the article before class, which should be given to students at least a week in advance.
This could be evaluated both formally or informally through an in-class discussion, or as a graded assignment.
This LO has not yet been implemented.